Discussing Torah matters because the Torah matters

A Note from the Writer

Simply put, I am a Christian who has fallen in love with the Hebrew Scriptures. 

As one raised in the modern American church, I grew up hearing Old Testament stories from the earliest time I could cross my legs. These stories were presented as simplified histories with a basic moral at the end. Meanwhile the harder, stranger parts of the Old Testament were neglected (a thing I say in hindsight and with respect to those Sunday school teachers who were doing their best). 

But God, in His trademark way, had something unexpected in store. He would make the Torah, despite its abstract and ancient nature, become both meaningful and immediate for a Gentile guy married and raising kids in a modern world. 

Now I am no Judaizer. My aim is not to make any reader "Jewish." (That aim would offend Jews as much as it would Gentiles!) The yoke of Jesus fits best on the tired and burdened; His yoke is easy, His burden is light. 

At the same time, I encourage fellow Christians to revisit the Old Testament––especially the Torah––and read it through a Hebraic lens. We place ourselves in Jesus' original audience when we study the Bible from which He taught. We connect to His lived experience as we familiarize ourselves with the Torah's guidance, the book He treated as His authority. When we ask, "What would Jesus do?" we effectively ask, "How do we properly interpret the Torah?" To borrow an analogy, Jesus is the greatest pianist of all time and the Torah is the sheet music from which He is playing.

May the material presented here be of worth to you in some manner, and if you encounter something of value, praise God! I am a nobody blogger. I realize, fully, that your life is yours to live; your theology is yours to express. I hope you sense no judgement from these articles. His Torah is ours for blessing in the here and now. Fellow Gentiles: we are the mixed multitude that was grafted in. 

Praise God.